I’m sitting with the prank king James S. Murray, better known as Murr, from the hit series Impractical Jokers. And you might be wondering what you could learn from someone who tells jokes and orchestrates pranks for a living, but trust me when I say you’ll walk away feeling inspired to pursue what you really love.
Murr joined me on That Moment with Daymond John and had me cracking up as he broke down his backstory and the incredible experiences that led him to surpassing 300 episodes of Impractical Jokers and a skyrocketing career in comedy, writing, and even entrepreneurship. Check out this all new episode to get his unfiltered lessons on:
- Keeping comedy and pranks positive and making yourself the butt of the joke (without seeming like the loser)
- Hustling and grinding it out as you work to make it to the top - everyone starts somewhere and Murr’s early days were far from glamorous
- Creating authentic and exciting content that keeps audiences engaged
- Treating your supporters with the same respect that they consistently show you
- And so much more
- BONUS: he came prepared with the funniest Red Lobster prank story from way back in the day that he’s never shared until now!
Who is James S. Murray?
Murr is a talented writer, executive producer, and comedian. He’s a member of the comedy troupe The Tenderloins, along with fellow Impractical Jokers stars Joe Gatto, Brian Quinn, and Sal Vulcano, who he actually met in high school.
For over a decade, Murr served as the Senior Vice President of Development for NorthSouth Productions, and currently he’s the owner of Impractical Productions, LLC and co-owner of Bad Woods Entertainment, which is part of a first look development deal with Warner Media. Murr’s also an international best selling author with 7 published titles and 3 more brand new books hitting shelves in the next 2 years. So this guy isn’t just someone with comedic timing - he’s a businessman.
Recently, Murr starred in Impractical Jokers: The Movie with his fellow Tenderloins, who together have been touring the world and playing sold out arenas. They even sold out Madison Square Garden, which is an incredible feat that so many performers aspire to achieve.
Listen on Spotify or Apple Podcasts
Catch the full episode on Apple Podcasts here: https://dj.daymondjohn.com/murr-apple
Catch the full episode on Spotify here: https://dj.daymondjohn.com/murr-spotify
Catch the full episode on iHeart here: https://dj.daymondjohn.com/murr-iheart
Host: Daymond John
Producers: Beau Dozier & Shanelle Collins; Ted Kingsbery, Chauncey Bell, & Taryn Loftus