Like so many others, I’m finding it difficult to put my heartache, frustration and emotions into words right now. But I do know that I want to provide direction and share actionable steps we can take on #BlackoutTuesday.
George Floyd was the victim of a horrific abuse of power and act of violence, and his death was not an isolated occurrence. There are other names we know like Ahmaud Arbery, Eric Garner, and Michael Brown, and unfortunately many, many others that we don’t know their names.
Believe me when I say I know the harsh realities that millions of people face at the hands of racism. The difference between myself and many of the victims of racism whose stories don’t get shared is that I have a platform that allows me to communicate with millions of people, and now more than ever it is absolutely crucial that I use this opportunity to shed light on the actions we can take right now to start making a change.
If you’re not sure how you can help support your community, here are some meaningful actions you can take:
VOTE! Use your voice - get out and vote. Get the election information you need at: https://www.vote411.org/
- Learn about racial injustices by watching a movie with your family:
- The 13th
- When They See Us
- Netflix's List of BLM Movies: https://www.netflix.com/browse/genre/81299227?so=su
- Sign petitions demanding justice
- Justice for George Floyd: https://www.change.org/p/mayor-jacob-frey-justice-for-george-floyd
- #JusticeForFloyd: https://act.colorofchange.org/sign/justiceforfloyd_george_floyd_minneapolis
- Justice for Breonna Taylor: https://www.change.org/p/andy-beshear-justice-for-breonna-taylor
- Make Juneteenth a National Holiday in 2020: https://www.change.org/p/united-states-congress-make-juneteenth-a-national-holiday-in-2020
- Make the KKK illegal: https://www.change.org/p/us-congress-make-the-kkk-illegal
- Federally Required Psychological Screenings for Police Employment and Federal Reforms: https://www.change.org/p/robert-menendez-federally-required-psych-screenings-for-police-officer-employment-federal-police-reforms
- Donate to organizations that are tirelessly fighting to eradicate systematic injustice
- Reclaim the Block: https://www.reclaimtheblock.org/home
- Campaign Zero: https://www.joincampaignzero.org/#campaign
- George Floyd Memorial Fund: https://www.gofundme.com/f/georgefloyd
- Black Visions Collective: https://www.blackvisionsmn.org/
- ACLU: https://www.aclu.org/
- Minnesota Freedom Fund: https://minnesotafreedomfund.org/
- Support and seek out minority-operated businesses
- Smartphone applications that can identify such businesses in your area: EatOkra, WeBuyBlack, I Am Black Business, WhereU Came From, Official Black Wall Street
- Additional resources and ways to take action
- Find your local BLM chapter: https://blacklivesmatter.com/chapters/
- Resources if you cannot donate: https://threader.app/thread/1266461236012646410
- Tips and guidelines for protestors: https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/#protesters
- Protestors: Know Your Rights: https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/protesters-rights/#im-attending-a-protest
- Learn more about and repeal Article 50-A:
People are scared, angry, disrespected and hurt and we need to come together to make any real change. I have faith in my fellow Americans that we can make it happen. But it isn't going to happen unless we stand together.
Silence is deafening. You have a voice. Whether you use it to post publicly, to sign petitions, donate, protest, or to vote, please let your voice be heard.