At 17 years old, Harley Finkelstein founded his first company. Today he is a Canadian entrepreneur, lawyer, the COO of Shopify, and on the board of directors for CBC. He’s the recipient of the Canadian Angel Investor of the Year Award, as well as Canada’s Top 40 Under 40 Award.
If you’re unfamiliar with Harley Finkelstein and Shopify, a software service featuring website creation and online shopping, then this is a must-watch video for you! Shopify unintentionally began over a decade ago when Harley was trying to sell snowboards online. Fast forward to today and Shopify has over a million stores!
This week, I had the pleasure of sitting down with Harley to chat about the future of E-commerce. While currently, uncertainty runs high, Harley is here to help guide you whether you’re a struggling business or a budding entrepreneur.
Check out our interview below! Keep scrolling for links and show notes…
Access Shopify here to learn about starting a business @ Shopify Compass: Free Online Courses - Business e Learning and Training
- Both Harley and his wife are entrepreneurs and managing businesses - what steps are they taking to manage working from home and their two kids [01:17]
- What’s the story behind Shopify - what was the inspiration behind the company? [3:15]
- Find out what Shopify is and what it can be used for [04:20]
- How are entrepreneurs rethinking business using e-commerce? [10:22]
- With small businesses struggling right now what is Shopify’s doing to help address this and what resources does Harley recommend? [13:07]
- Why does Harley call this an anti-fragile moment for great entrepreneurs? [15:23]
- How and why has COVID changed the future of online business? [16:20]
- What are Harley’s tips for entrepreneurs to secure a deal with investors? [17:40]
- How many employees does Shopify currently employ today? [19:00]
- For large businesses working remotely poses a challenge - find out what Harley considers essential to maintain a successful business [19:25]
- What is Harley’s advice to people right now? [25:18]
Interested in more Power Talks? Join me on Instagram every Tuesday at 1pm EST.